Historical Departmental Highlights

Winston Hall in 1910

1910
Winston Hall was the first building primarily devoted to engineering activities; namely, electrical engineering, civil engineering, and the chemical department of the State Experiment Station.

1917
The College name changed from the "North Carolina College of Agriculture and Mechanic Arts" to the "North Carolina State College of Agriculture and Engineering."



Daniels Hall in 1926
1921
Lucille Thomson became the first woman ever to enroll at NC State. She enrolled in electrical engineering.

1923
The School of Engineering was formed, consisting of the Electrical Engineering Department, Civil Engineering Department, Physics Department, Textile Engineering, and Mechanical Engineering.

ECE Staff in 1938

1937
Electrical Engineering curricula accredited.

1953
The first African-American graduate students enrolled at North Carolina State. Hardy Liston (mechanical engineering) and Robert L. Clemons (electrical engineering).

1956
The first African-American undergraduate students entered NC State; all were engineering students. Walter Holmes enrolled in mechanical engineering with an aerospace option, and Irwin Holmes, Manuel Crockett, and Edward Carson enrolled in electrical engineering.


Irwin Holmes; First African-American athlete at North Carolina State College, in track, 1957.

1957
Robert L. Clemons became the first African American to receive a degree from NC State, when he received a professional degree in electrical engineering.

1960
Irwin Holmes was the first African American to receive an undergraduate degree from NC State, when he received a bachelor's degree in electrical engineering.


Engineering research : two members of the research staff are shown observing siloscope [sic] and support electrical equipment, undated

1979
Sarah A. Rajala joined the Electrical and Computer Engineering faculty and became the first woman PhD faculty member to join the College of Engineering.

1981
The Microelectronics Center for North Carolina was established at NC State.

1985
The Electric Power Research Center was established.


Student Angela Skelton at the scanning electron microscope. 1974
1992
The Center for Robotics and Intelligent Machines was established. The Power Semiconductor Research Center was established.

1995
The Center for Advanced Computing and Communications (CACC) reformed from the former Center for Communications and Signal Processing, established in 1982.

1996
Engineering Graduate Research Center building construction completed.

1997
Engineering Graduate Research Center opens, shared by ECE and CSC. Partners I building construction complete.

Dr. Edward Grant's and Dr. John F. Muth's Modular Observation Crawler And Sensing Instrument (MOCASIn) robot - 1999
2003
Ground is broken on Engineering Building II.

2005
Engineering Building II completed; ECE moves out of Daniels Hall.

2006
Engineering Graduate Research Center (EGRC) on Centennial Campus has been renamed the Larry K. Monteith Engineering Research Center (MRC), after the former Chancellor, former Dean of Engineering, and former ECE Head Dr. Larry K. Monteith.
First day of classes in EBII - 2004
2008
NC State awarded $20M NSF Engineering Research Center - Future Renewable Electric Energy Delivery and Management Systems(FREEDM)

2010
Department creates REES undergraduate concentration and graduate certificate. FREEDM moves into the newly created Keystone Science Center building on Centennial Campus.

2011
Department creates Masters in EPSE degree program. President Obama presents Dr. Jay Baliga with the National Medal of Technology.

2012
NC State awarded $18.5M NSF Nanosystems Engineering Research Center for Advanced Self-Powered Systems of Integrated Sensors and Technologies (ASSIST)

2013
Department creates Minor in Nano-Science and Technology. Department creates first Online Open Course (OOC).