The EFD ultra TT automation system is a batch process, semi-automatic, time-pressure dispensing system with fully integrated closed-loop positioning functions.
Currently, a PalmOS PDA handheld is connected to the glue machine. The PDA is used to program the robot by specifying the dot and line locations and parameters. To use the PDA to dispense a glue pattern, follow the following steps:
1. Turn on the power switch in the back left of the machine, and then press the green power button on the front panel.
2. Turn on the attached PDA. Use the stylus to hit the home button (looks like a house), then select EFD from the menu, and select program.
3. A dialog will pop up about initializing the controller and setting the robot to home. Allow the robot to go to home; the tip should move fully up, then fully left, and then the platform should move fully to the back.
4. Use the stylus to select the program menu, go to open, and select the program that dispenses the pattern you need. The glue will always be dispensed primarily left-to-right, with openings in the middle.
5. To move the dispensing tip and platform to locations where they can be accessed, a simple method is to select the program menu, go to the options menu to its right, and select "Program Origin..." The platform will move forward, and the tip will move over the platform at maximum height.
6. If there is some glue from previous operations on the side of the tip, clean it off with a kimwipe; the glue will not detach upon dispensing.
7. The glass sample should be placed fully to the back and left of the platform, flush against the glass slides serving as walls, and then secured by use of the small plastic piece, which can be screwed into any appropriate hole on the platform. For the circular glass, the notch should be pointing towards the left of the machine. Additionally, some scrap microscope glass should be oriented left-to right beyond the sample.
8. The pressure on the left (0-100psi) setting for the glue machine should be set to 40psi for 1" square glass with UVS91 glue, and to 50psi for ~2" circular glass with UVS91 glue.
9. Close out of the Program Origin window by hitting cancel, then press the Run Program button and select the "Run" option in the following screen. The glue machine will dispense glue at a rate of about 0.7 mm/s. The method in step 5 can be used to move the dispensing tip upwards to allow the removal of the glass or placement of the next sample.
10. When you are done, the glue machine may be turned off using the power switch in the back.
When creating a new dispensing program, always be sure to copy another similar program instead of creating an entirely new one, because all of the line parameters are reset in new programs. Additionally, after changes to the programs on the PDA, the PDA's memory should be backed up, since the PDA resets to factory settings if its battery voltage drops too low. To back up the PDA, unhook it from the glue machine and hook it up to the serial port on the back of the PC hooked up to the spectrometer. Open HotSync in C:\Program Files\Palm, and run the HotSync program on the PDA to back up its data.
Use a soft lint-free cloth to wipe the exterior of the Ultra TT machine. A commercial stainless steel cleaner e.g. Rubbermaid Professional Plus Stainless Steel Cleaner, may be used on the stainless portions of the machine. Be sure to wipe down the cleaner completely.
EFD inc. Dispensing Robots TT-series User's Guide and Quick Start Guide (http://www.efd-inc.com/Dispensers)