441 MonteithLocate on Campus Map
Campus Box 7911
NC State University
Raleigh, NC 27695-7911
Dr. Floyd joined NC State in January 2010. His research interests include RF and millimeter-wave circuits and systems for wireless communications, imaging, and radar applications. Specific research topics include multi-Gb/s wireless transceivers, mmWave passive and active imagers, silicon phased-array transceivers, 3-D RF, digitally assisted/digitally-replaced RF systems, and manufacturable antenna-in-package approaches.
Prior to 2010, Dr. Floyd worked at IBM Research in Yorktown Heights, NY as a research staff member (2001-2007) and as the manager of the RF and wireless circuits and systems group (2007-2009). His work at IBM included the demonstration of some of the world's first 60-GHz transceivers in silicon and the development of 60-GHz phased-array transceivers, antennas, and packages.
- 1996 - B.S. in Electrical Engineering with highest honors, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
1998 - M.Eng. in Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
2001 - Ph.D. in Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
| Primary Research Interests
- Electronic Circuits and Systems (Including Analog Circuits, Electromagnetic Fields / Antenna Analysis, Microwave Devices and Circuits, VLSI)
| Selected Publications
- T. Fujibayashi, Y. Takeda, Y.-S. Yeh, W. Wang, Y.-S. Yeh, W. Stapelbroek, S. Takeuchi, and B. Floyd, "A 76- to 81-GHz packaged single-chip transceiver for automotive radar," accepted to IEEE Bipolar/BiCMOS Circuits Technology Mtg., Sep. 2016.
- Y.-S. Yeh, B. Walker, E. Balboni, and B. A. Floyd, "A 28-GHz 4-channel dual-vector receiver phased array in SiGe BiCMOS Technology," IEEE RFIC Symp. Dig. Tech. Papers, May 2016, pp. 352-355.
- K. Greene, V. Chauhan, and B. Floyd, "Code-modulated embedded test for phased arrays," IEEE VLSI Test Symp., Apr. 2016.
- A. Natarajan, S. Reynolds, M.-D. Tsai, S. Nicolson, J.-H. C. Zhan, D. Kam, D. Liu, O. Huang, A. Valdes-Garcia, and B. A. Floyd, "A fully-integrated 16-element phased-array receiver in SiGe BiCMOS for 60-GHz communications," IEEE J. Solid-State Circuits, vol. 46, no.5, pp. 1059-1075, May 2011.
- B. Floyd, "A 16 to 18.8-GHz sub-integer-N frequency synthesizer for 60-GHz transceivers," IEEE J. Solid-State Circuits, vol. 43, no. 5, pp. 1076-1086, May 2008.
- B. A. Floyd, S. K. Reynolds, U. R. Pfeiffer, T. Zwick, T. Beukema, and B. Gaucher, ï¿½SiGe bipolar transceiver circuits operating at 60 GHz,ï¿½ IEEE J. Solid-State Circuits, vol. 40,ï¿½ no. 1,ï¿½ pp. 156-167, Jan. 2005.
- B. A. Floyd, C.-M. Hung, and K. K. O, ï¿½Intra-chip wireless interconnect for clock distribution implemented with integrated antennas, receivers, and transmitters,ï¿½ IEEE J. Solid-State Circuits, vol. 37,ï¿½ no. 5,ï¿½ pp. 543-552, May 2002.
| Awards and Honors
- 2016 - NC State Outstanding Teacher Award
- 2015 - NCSU Chancellor Innovation Fund Winner
- 2015 - William F. Lane Outstanding Teacher Award (ECE Department)
- 2014 - IBM Faculty Award
- 2011 - DARPA Young Faculty Award
- 2011 - IBM Research Pat Goldberg Memorial Best Paper Award for EE/CS/Math
- 2007 - IBM Research Division Outstanding Accomplishment Award
- 2006 - Best Paper Award, International Solid-State Circuits Conference (Lewis Winner Awd)
- 2006 - IBM Research Pat Goldberg Memorial Best Paper Award for CS/EE/Math
- 2004 - Best Paper Award, International Solid-State Circuits Conference (Lewis Winner Award)