2080 Engr Bldg IILocate on Campus Map
Campus Box 7911
NC State University
Raleigh, NC 27695-7911
Dr. Bedair currently investigates semi-conductor materials and devices including novel growth techniques such as atomic layer epitaxy, laser-assisted diposition, molecular beam epitexy and chemical vapor diposition. He also studies optical, electrical and structural properties of semiconductors, epitaxial insulators and quantum well structures. Optical and microwave devices such as detectors, wave guides, solar cells, light emitting diodes, semiconductor light bulbs and modulation doped field effect transistors are currently considered in Dr. Bedair's lab.
- 1960 BS in Electrical Engineering, Alexandria University
1965 MS in Nuclear Engineering, Univ. of Calif. Berkeley
1969 PhD in Engineering Science, Univ. of Calif .Berkeley
| Selected Publications
- A. H. Morshed, R. Leonard, M. G. Moussa, S. Liu, N. ElMasry and S. M. Bedair, "Violet/Blue Emission from Epitaxial Cerium Oxide Films on Silicon Substrates," Applied Physics Letters, vol. 70, 1647 (1997).
K. S. Boutros, F. G. McIntosh, J. C. Roberts, S. M. Bedair, E. L. Piner and N. A. El-Masry, "High Quality InGaN Films by Atomic Layer Epitaxy," Applied Physics Letters, vol. 67, 1856 (1995).
R. Leonard and S. M. Bedair, "Photo Assisted Dry Etching of GaN," Applied Physics Letters, vol. 68, 1794 (1996).
E. L. Piner, F. G. McIntosh, J. C. Robert, M. K. Behbehani, K. S. Boutros, N. El-Masry and S. M. Bedair, "The Effect of Hydrogen on the Indium Incorporation in InGaN Epitaxial Films, Applied Physics Letters, vol. 70, 461 (1997).
| Awards and Honors
- 2015 - Alexander Quarles Holladay Medal for Excellence (NC State)
- 1998 - Alumni Association Distinguished Graduate Professorship (NC State)
- 1992 - IEEE Fellow, Contribution to Atomic Layer Epitaxy
- 1992 - R J Reynolds for Excellence in Teaching, Research and Extension (NC State)
- 1988 - ALCOA Foundation Distinguished Engineering Research Award (NC State)
- 1986 - Department of Energy Award (Development of Cascade Solar Cells)