2098 Engr Bldg IILocate on Campus Map
Campus Box 7911
NC State University
Raleigh, NC 27695-7911
Research Interests: Digital communication, information theory and coding, and statistical signal processing with applications to wireless data networks. Current projects focus on four topics: (a) channel modeling and signal detection in the presence of multiuser interference; (b) power-efficient routing in wireless networks; (c) interference rejection in spread-spectrum communication systems; and (d) space-time processing in wireless communications.
- 1980 BS in Mathematics, University of Maryland, Baltimore County
1983 MS in Applied Mathematics, University of Maryland, College Park
1985 PhD in Electrical Engineering, University of Maryland, College Park
| Primary Research Interests
- Communications and Signal Processing (Including Adaptive Signal Processing, Digital Communications, Digital Signal Processing, Multidimensional Signal Processing)
| Other Research Interests
- Networking (Including Local-Area and Wide-Area Networks)
| Selected Publications
- C. Domizioli, B. L. Hughes, K. Gard and G. Lazzi, “Receive diversity revisited: correlation, coupling and noise,” IEEE Global Communications Conference, Washington, DC, Nov. 26-30, 2007.
- Y. Dong, B. L. Hughes and G. Lazzi, “The impact of mutual coupling on MIMO maximum-ratio combining,” IEEE Global Communications Conference, Washington, DC, Nov. 26-30, 2007.
- A. Rajagopalan, G. Gupta, B. L. Hughes, and G. Lazzi, “Increasing channel capacity of an ultra-wideband MIMO system using co-located loops and dipoles,” IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, to appear.
- H. Zhang, H. Dai and B. L. Hughes, “Analysis of the diversity-multiplexing tradeoff for ordered MIMO SIC receivers,” IEEE Transactions on Communications, June 2006.
- H. Zhang, H. Dai, Q. Zhou and B. L. Hughes, “On the diversity order of spatial multiplexing systems with transmit antenna selection: A geometrical approach,” IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, vol 52, pp. 5297-5311, December 2006.
| Awards and Honors
- 2006-2007 - NC SU Outstanding Teacher Award
- 2006 - Member, NC SU Academy of Outstanding Teachers
- 2004 - Highly Cited Article, Essential Science Indicators, (Number of Citations in Top 1% of Technical Field)
- 1994 - Best Paper Award, Signal and Image Processing Session, 19th Army Science Conference, Orlando, FL
- 1987 - National Science Foundation Research Initiation Award
- 1983-1985 - Naval Research Laboratory Fellowship Award
- 1983 - NASA Special Achievement Award for Contributions to US Space Shuttle Program
- 1980-1985 - Eta Kappa Nu Honor Society Member
- 1980-1985 - Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society Member
- 1980-1985 - Tau Beta Pi Honor Society Member