023 KeystoneLocate on Campus Map
Campus Box 7571
NC State University
Raleigh, NC 27695-7571
Prof. Hopkins' primary research areas are:
* Very high frequency, high density power electronic systems
* Extreme environment electronics, and related solid-state protection
* Organic-based circuits for power and energy systems
* High temperature(>300˚C) metal-matrix composite packaging with integrated ceramics
* True 3D electronic packaging with flexible jet patterning
Prof. Hopkins has over 20 years of experience in electronic energy systems. His early career was at the R&D centers of the General Electric and Carrier Air-Conditioning Companies in advanced power electronics systems for military and commercial applications up to the low MW range. He is now developing an advanced electronics packaging laboratory.
He has also provided consulting to groups, such as Emerson, Grundfos, Lawrence Livermore, and Verizon among others, and held Visiting Faculty appointments with the Army, NASA, and the Ohio Space Institute. He is co-founder of DensePower, LLC, and conducts expert witness activities through DCHopkins & Associates, LLC. He has published over 100 journal and conference articles, a number recognized with awards. Further information is available from www.DCHopkins.com
- 1989 - Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering, Virgina Tech, Blacksburg, VA
| Primary Research Interests
- Power Electronics and Power Systems (Including Electronic Energy Systems Packaging, Power Electronics*, Power Management ICs*, Power Semiconductor Devices*)
| Selected Publications
- REFEREED JOURNAL PROCEEDINGS:
- “A MEMS Sensor for Gas Detection in High Voltage Oil Filled Equipment,” Krishna P. Bhat, Douglas C. Hopkins, Kwang Oh, IEEE Trans. on Industry Applications, in review Oct'11
- “Electromigration Time to Failure of SnAgCuNi Solder Joints,” C. Basaran, S. Li, D. C. Hopkins, and D. Veychard, J. of Applied Physics 106, 013707 (2009)
- “A Dynamic Model for a Gas-Liquid Corona Discharge Using Neural Networks,” A. Hosny, D. C. Hopkins, et.al, Trans. on Power Engineering, July 2009
- “Experimental damage mechanics of micro/power electronics solder joints under electric current stresses,” Hua Ye, Cemal Basaran, Douglas C. Hopkins, Int’l J. of Damage Mechanics, v 15, n 1, January, 2006, p 41-67
- “Deformation of Microelectronic Solder Joints Under Current Stressing and Numerical Simulation I & II,” C. Basaran, H. Ye, D.C. Hopkins, Int’l J. of Solids and Structures, vol. 41, n 18-19, I: pp. 4939-4958, II: pp. 4959-4973, September 2004.
- “Thermomigration in Pb-Sn Solder Joints Under Joule Heating During Electric-Current Stressing,” H. Ye, C. Basaran, D.C. Hopkins, Applied Physics Letters, vol. 82, no.8, pp. 1045-1047, Feb.2003.
- “Systems Design Considerations for Using a Direct-Attached-Ceramic MMC Power Package,” D.C. Hopkins, J. M. Pitarressi and J. A. Karker, invited and under submission, Int'l Jour. on Microelectronics Reliability, 1998
- “Optimizing Conductor Thickness in Power Hybrid Circuits,” D.C. Hopkins and S. H. Bhavnani, Int’l Jour. of Microcircuits and Electronic Packaging, pp. 293-301, 3rd Qtr., 1994.
- “Extension of Battery Life via Charge Equalization Control,” S. T. Hung, D.C. Hopkins and C. R. Mosling, IEEE Trans. on Industrial Electronics. Vol. 40, No. 1, pp. 96 - 104, February, 1993.
- “Dynamic Equalization During Charging of Serial Energy Storage Elements,” D.¬C. Hopkins, C. R. Mosling and S. T. Hung, IEEE Trans. on Industry Applications., Vol. 29, No. 2, pp. 363 – 368, March/April, 1993.
- “Evaluation and Design of Megahertz-Frequency Off-Line “Zero-Current- Switched Quasi-Resonant Converters,” M.M. Jovanovic, D.C. Hopkins and F.C. Lee, IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, Vol.4, No.1, pp. 136-146, January 1989; First Place - Alabama Section, IEEE.
- (Full list of Journal Papers given in CV.)
- REFEREED CONFERENCE PROCEEDINGS:
- “Results for an Al/AlN Composite 350C SiC Solid-State Circuit Beaker Module,” K. Bhat, Y. B. Guo, Y. Xu, D.R. Hazelmyer, D.C. Hopkins, IEEE Applied Power Electronics Conf., Orlando, FL, Feb 5-9, 2012. Best Paper of Session
- “High Thermal-Transient Packaging for a SiC-Based Solid State Circuit Breaker,” T. Baltis, D. C. Hopkins, J. M. Pitaressi, D. R Hazelmyer, Proc. of the 45th IMAPS Int’l Symp. on Microelectronics, Long Beach, CA, October 10-14, 2012
- “A MEMS Sensor for Gas Detection in High Voltage Oil Filled Equipment,” K. P. Bhat, D. C. Hopkins, K. Oh, IEEE Industry Appl. Soc. Conf., Electrostatic Process Committee, Houston, TX, Oct. 3-7 2010
- “High Current and Thermal Transient Design of a SiC SSPC for Aircraft Application,” Y. B. Guo, K. P. Bhat, A. Aravamudhan, D. C. Hopkins, D. R. Hazelmyer, IEEE Applied Power Electronics Conf., Ft. Worth, TX, Mar 6-10, 2011
- “Development and Testing of a 350˚C SiC MCPM with Cast Metal Matrix Composites”, D. C. Hopkins, Y. B. Guo, A. Aravamudhan, J. D. Scofield, 2010 Int’l Electronics Packaging Symp., Niskayuna, NY, Sept. 9-10, 2010
- “Augmenting Bucholz Relay Using Embedded Mems Gas Sensor,” K. P. Bhat, D. C. Hopkins, IEEE 2010 IEEE PES Transmission and Distribution Conf., New Orleans, LA, April 19-22, 2010
- “Investigation of SiC Power Module Requirement for Smart Grid Applications,” Y. Guo, PF Jao, G. Wang, Y. Du, S. Bhattacharya and D. C. Hopkins, 42th IMAPS Int’l Symp. on Microelectronics, San Jose, CA, November 1-5, 2009 Best Paper of Session (Also, poster presentation at Advanced Energy Conference, Nov 18-19, 2009, Hauppauge, NY)
- “Investigation of High Electrical Gradients in High Voltage Power Modules,” Y. B. Guo, P. F. Jao and D. C. Hopkins, FREEDM Syst Ctr Conf., Raleigh, NC, May 18 – 20, 2009
- “Implementing Digital Power Control In Automotive Alternators,” C. Thondapu, D. C. Hopkins, G. Holguin, Digital Power Forum 2005, Boston MA, September 12-14, 2005
- “Partitioning Digitally Programmable Power-Control for Applications to Ballasts,” D.C. Hopkins and J. Moronski, Proc. of the Int’l Applied Power Electronics Conference, Dallas, TX, March 11-14, 2002.
- “Characterization of Advanced Materials for High Voltage / High Temperature Power Electronics Packaging,” D.C. Hopkins and J. S. Bowers, Proc. of the Int’l Applied Power Electronics Conference, Anaheim, CA, March 4-8, 2001, pp. 1062-1067
- “A High Speed Pulser Thyristor,” A. H. Craig, D. C. Hopkins and J. C. Driscoll, Proc. of the Int’l Applied Power Electronics Conference, Anaheim, CA, February 15-19, 1998.
- “Power Packaging of a 12 kV, 240 °C, Passive Electronic Module,” J. S. Bowers, D. C. Hopkins and W. J. Sarjeant, Proc. of the Int’l Applied Power Electronics Conference, Anaheim, CA, Feb. 15-19, 1998
- (Full list of Conference Papers given in CV.)
| Awards and Honors
- 2007 - Fellow – International Microelectronics and Packaging Society (IMAPS)
- 2001 - "Outstanding Contribution to Education, Research and Professionalism," IEEE – Region I
- 1999 - IEEE Third Millennium Medal recipient
- 1992 - Senior Member – Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)