023 KeystoneLocate on Campus Map
Campus Box 7571
NC State University
Raleigh, NC 27695-7571
Prof. Hopkins' primary research areas are:
* Very high frequency, high density power electronic systems
* Extreme environment electronics, and related solid-state protection
* Organic-based circuits for power and energy systems
* High temperature(>300˚C) metal-matrix composite packaging with integrated ceramics
* True 3D electronic packaging with flexible jet patterning
Prof. Hopkins has over 20 years of experience in electronic energy systems. His early career was at the R&D centers of the General Electric and Carrier Air-Conditioning Companies in advanced power electronics systems for military and commercial applications up to the low MW range.
Prof. Hopkins received his Ph.D. from Virginia Tech where his research focused on zero-current switching converters and cermet packaging. Prior to joining NCSU, he was at the University at Buffalo (SUNY Buffalo) conducting research in high temperature power electronics (>350˚C) and packaging with aluminum-based composites. At NCSU he created the Laboratory for Packaging Research in Electronic Energy Systems (PREES) focusing on high-temperature, high-frequency, 3D packaging using composite materials primarily for wide band gap power semiconductors (e.g. GaN and SiC) .
Prof Hopkins held Visiting Faculty appointments with the Army, NASA, and the Ohio Space Institute. He was co-founder of DensePower, LLC, and conducts expert witness activities through DCHopkins & Associates, LLC. He has published over 100 journal and conference articles, a number recognized with awards. Further information is available from www.DCHopkins.com
- 1989 - Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (Virgina Tech), Blacksburg, VA
| Primary Research Interests
- Power Electronics and Power Systems (Including Electric Machines and Drives, Electronic Energy Systems Packaging, Power Electronics*, Power Management ICs*, Power Semiconductor Devices)
| Selected Publications
- SELECTED REFEREED JOURNAL PROCEEDINGS:
- “A MEMS Sensor for Gas Detection in High Voltage Oil Filled Equipment,” Krishna P. Bhat, Douglas C. Hopkins, Kwang Oh, IEEE Trans. on Industry Applications, Jan. 2013
- “Electromigration Time to Failure of SnAgCuNi Solder Joints,” C. Basaran, S. Li, D. C. Hopkins, and D. Veychard, J. of Applied Physics 106, 013707 (2009)
- “A Dynamic Model for a Gas-Liquid Corona Discharge Using Neural Networks,” A. Hosny, D. C. Hopkins, et.al, Trans. on Power Engineering, July 2009
- “Experimental damage mechanics of micro/power electronics solder joints under electric current stresses,” Hua Ye, Cemal Basaran, Douglas C. Hopkins, Int’l J. of Damage Mechanics, v 15, n 1, January, 2006, p 41-67
- “Deformation of Microelectronic Solder Joints Under Current Stressing and Numerical Simulation I & II,” C. Basaran, H. Ye, D.C. Hopkins, Int’l J. of Solids and Structures, vol. 41, n 18-19, I: pp. 4939-4958, II: pp. 4959-4973, September 2004.
- “Thermomigration in Pb-Sn Solder Joints Under Joule Heating During Electric-Current Stressing,” H. Ye, C. Basaran, D.C. Hopkins, Applied Physics Letters, vol. 82, no.8, pp. 1045-1047, Feb.2003.
- “Systems Design Considerations for Using a Direct-Attached-Ceramic MMC Power Package,” D.C. Hopkins, J. M. Pitarressi and J. A. Karker, invited and under submission, Int'l Jour. on Microelectronics Reliability, 1998
- “Optimizing Conductor Thickness in Power Hybrid Circuits,” D.C. Hopkins and S. H. Bhavnani, Int’l Jour. of Microcircuits and Electronic Packaging, pp. 293-301, 3rd Qtr., 1994.
- “Extension of Battery Life via Charge Equalization Control,” S. T. Hung, D.C. Hopkins and C. R. Mosling, IEEE Trans. on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 40, No. 1, pp. 96 - 104, February, 1993.
- “Dynamic Equalization During Charging of Serial Energy Storage Elements,” D.¬C. Hopkins, C. R. Mosling and S. T. Hung, IEEE Trans. on Industry Applications, Vol. 29, No. 2, pp. 363 – 368, March/April, 1993.
- “Evaluation and Design of Megahertz-Frequency Off-Line “Zero-Current- Switched Quasi-Resonant Converters,” M.M. Jovanovic, D.C. Hopkins and F.C. Lee, IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, Vol.4, No.1, pp. 136-146, January 1989; First Place - Alabama Section, IEEE.
- (Full list of Journal Papers given in CV.)
- SELECTED REFEREED CONFERENCE PROCEEDINGS:
- “Printed Interfacial Interconnects in High Power Module,” D. C. Hopkins, Y. Xu, H. KE, Special Session, IEEE Applied Power Electronics Conf., Ft. Worth, TX, March 16-20, 2014 Invited
- “Misconception of Thermal Spreading Angle and Misapplication to IGBT Power Modules,” Y. Xu, D. C. Hopkins, IEEE Applied Power Electronics Conf., Ft. Worth, TX, March 16-20, 2014
- “Conceptual Development Using 3D Printing Technologies for 8kV SiC Power Module Package,” H. Ke, Y. Xu, D. C. Hopkins, 46th International Conference and Exhibition on Microelectronics, Orlando, FL, Sep 30 – 03 Oct, 2013
- “Understanding Impact of New Additive Manufacturing Techniques on Power Electronics Design,” D C Hopkins, Special Session, IEEE Applied Power Electronics Conf., Long Beach, California, 18-21 March 2013 Invited
- “Results for an Al/AlN Composite 350C SiC Solid-State Circuit Beaker Module,” K. Bhat, Y. B. Guo, Y. Xu, D.R. Hazelmyer, D.C. Hopkins, IEEE Applied Power Electronics Conf., Orlando, FL, Feb 5-9, 2012. Best Paper of Session
- “High Thermal-Transient Packaging for a SiC-Based Solid State Circuit Breaker,” T. Baltis, D. C. Hopkins, J. M. Pitaressi, D. R Hazelmyer, Proc. of the 45th IMAPS Int’l Symp. on Microelectronics, Long Beach, CA, October 10-14, 2012
- “A MEMS Sensor for Gas Detection in High Voltage Oil Filled Equipment,” K. P. Bhat, D. C. Hopkins, K. Oh, IEEE Industry Appl. Soc. Conf., Electrostatic Process Committee, Houston, TX, Oct. 3-7 2010
- “High Current and Thermal Transient Design of a SiC SSPC for Aircraft Application,” Y. B. Guo, K. P. Bhat, A. Aravamudhan, D. C. Hopkins, D. R. Hazelmyer, IEEE Applied Power Electronics Conf., Ft. Worth, TX, Mar 6-10, 2011
- “Development and Testing of a 350˚C SiC MCPM with Cast Metal Matrix Composites”, D. C. Hopkins, Y. B. Guo, A. Aravamudhan, J. D. Scofield, 2010 Int’l Electronics Packaging Symp., Niskayuna, NY, Sept. 9-10, 2010
- “Augmenting Bucholz Relay Using Embedded Mems Gas Sensor,” K. P. Bhat, D. C. Hopkins, IEEE 2010 IEEE PES Transmission and Distribution Conf., New Orleans, LA, April 19-22, 2010
- “Investigation of SiC Power Module Requirement for Smart Grid Applications,” Y. Guo, PF Jao, G. Wang, Y. Du, S. Bhattacharya and D. C. Hopkins, 42th IMAPS Int’l Symp. on Microelectronics, San Jose, CA, November 1-5, 2009 Best Paper of Session (Also, poster presentation at Advanced Energy Conference, Nov 18-19, 2009, Hauppauge, NY)
- “Implementing Digital Power Control In Automotive Alternators,” C. Thondapu, D. C. Hopkins, G. Holguin, Digital Power Forum 2005, Boston MA, September 12-14, 2005
- “Partitioning Digitally Programmable Power-Control for Applications to Ballasts,” D.C. Hopkins and J. Moronski, Proc. of the Int’l Applied Power Electronics Conference, Dallas, TX, March 11-14, 2002.
- “Characterization of Advanced Materials for High Voltage / High Temperature Power Electronics Packaging,” D.C. Hopkins and J. S. Bowers, Proc. of the Int’l Applied Power Electronics Conference, Anaheim, CA, March 4-8, 2001, pp. 1062-1067
- “A High Speed Pulser Thyristor,” A. H. Craig, D. C. Hopkins and J. C. Driscoll, Proc. of the Int’l Applied Power Electronics Conference, Anaheim, CA, February 15-19, 1998.
- “Power Packaging of a 12 kV, 240 °C, Passive Electronic Module,” J. S. Bowers, D. C. Hopkins and W. J. Sarjeant, Proc. of the Int’l Applied Power Electronics Conference, Anaheim, CA, Feb. 15-19, 1998
- (Full list of Conference Papers given in CV.)
- PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT COURSES
- “Introduction to 3D Power Electronics & Post-Silicon Device Packaging,” (8 hrs.), 46th Int'l Conference and Exhibition on Microelectronics, Orlando, FL, Sep 30-Oct 03, 2013
- “Advanced Bus Bar System Design,” (3 hrs.), IEEE Energy Conversion Congress & Exposition, Raleigh, NC, Sep 15-20, 2012; also IEEE Applied Power Electronics Conf, Orlando, FL, Feb 5-9, 2012
- “Ground Rules for Designing Power Electronics into Evolving MicroGrid Applications,” (3 hrs.), IEEE Applied Power Electronics Conference 2011, Ft. Worth, TX, Mar 6-10, 2011
- “Power Electronics for the Smart Distribution Grid,” (3 hrs.), IEEE Applied Power Electronics Conference 2010
- “Advanced Packaging for Power and Energy,” (6 hrs.), 42th Int'l Conference and Exhibition on Microelectronics 2009
- (Full list of Professional Development Courses given in CV.)
| Awards and Honors
- 2013 - "Outstanding Educator Award" - International Microelectronics and Packaging Society
- 2007 - Fellow – International Microelectronics and Packaging Society (IMAPS)
- 2001 - "Outstanding Contribution to Education, Research and Professionalism," IEEE – Region I
- 1999 - IEEE Third Millennium Medal recipient
- 1992 - Senior Member – Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)