2097 Engr Bldg IILocate on Campus Map
Campus Box 7911
NC State University
Raleigh, NC 27695-7911
Prof. Baron's undergraduate studies were in the Electrical Engineering Department at the Technion - Israel Institute of Technology, where he belonged to the Technion's Program for Outstanding Students. Following his graduation, he designed hardware modems at Witcom, an Israeli startup specializing in broadband wireless communication. At the same time he was pursuing his MSc, also at the Technion. In 1999 he joined the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering and the Coordinated Science Laboratory at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, where he completed his PhD in 2003. During the Spring 2003 semester, he was a Visiting Assistant professor at the University of Illinois.
After completing his PhD, Prof. Baron was a Postdoctoral Research Associate in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at Rice University from 2003 to 2006, where he performed research with the Digital Signal Processing research group, which was among the pioneering groups in compressed sensing. From 2007 to 2008 he was a Quantitative Research Analyst with Menta Capital in San Francisco, where he developed quantitative investment strategies. After spending 2008 to 2010 as a Visiting Scientist in the Electrical Engineering Department at the Technion, Prof. Baron joined NC State in 2010 as an Assistant Professor.
Generally speaking, Prof. Baron's research lies on the intersection of fast algorithms, signal processing, and information theory. He is particularly interested in developing systems that extract as much information as possible from data in a computationally timely manner.
- 2003 - PhD in Electrical Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Urbana, Illinois
1999 - MSc in Electrical Engineering, Technion - Israel Institute of Technology, Haifa, Israel
1997 - BSc in Electrical Engineering, Technion - Israel Institute of Technology, Haifa, Israel
| Primary Research Interests
- Communications and Signal Processing (Including Digital Communications*, Digital Signal Processing*, Image Analysis and Computer Vision)
| Other Research Interests
- Computer Architecture and Systems (Including Parallel and Distributed Computer Architecture)
- Electronic Circuits and Systems (Including Digital Circuits)
- Networking (Including Wireless Networking)
| Selected Publications
- D. Baron, S. Sarvotham, and R. G. Baraniuk, "Bayesian Compressive Sensing via Belief Propagation," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing vol. 58, no. 1, pp. 269-280, January 2010.
- D. Baron, M. B. Wakin, M. F. Duarte, S. Sarvotham, and R. G. Baraniuk, "Distributed Compressed Sensing," Technical Report ECE-0612, Electrical and Computer Engineering Department, Rice University, December 2006.
- D. Guo, D. Baron, and S. Shamai, "A Single-letter Characterization of Optimal Noisy Compressed Sensing," Proceedings of the 47th Allerton Conference on Communication, Control, and Computing, Monticello, IL, September 2009.
- D. Baron and Y. Bresler, "An O(N) Semi-Predictive Universal Encoder via the BWT," IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, vol. 50, No. 5, pp. 928-937, May 2004.
- D. Bickson, D. Baron, A. Ihler, H. Avissar, and D. Dolev, "Fault Identification via Non-parametric Belief Propagation," to appear in IEEE Trans. Signal Processing, 2011.
- D. Takhar, J. N. Laska, M. B. Wakin, M. F. Duarte, D. Baron, S. Sarvotham, K. F. Kelly, and R. G. Baraniuk, "A New Compressive Imaging Camera Architecture using Optical-Domain Compression," SPIE Electronic Imaging, San Jose, CA, pp. 43-52, January 2006.
- V. Chandrasekaran, M. B. Wakin, D. Baron, and R. G. Baraniuk, "Representation and Compression of Multi-Dimensional Piecewise Functions Using Surflets," IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, vol. 55, no. 1, pp. 374-400, January 2009.
| Awards and Honors
- 2010 - IEEE Senior Member
- 2002 - Honorable mention, Robert Bohrer Memorial Student Workshop, Department of Statistics, University of Illinois
- 2002 - M. E. Van Valkenburg Graduate Research Award, University of Illinoois
- 1994-1997 - Participant in Program for Outstanding Students, Technion
- 1994-1997 - President's Roll every semester, Technion