3108 Engr Bldg IILocate on Campus Map
Campus Box 7911
NC State University
Raleigh, NC 27695-7911
Associate Department Head
Dr. Byrd's primary research is in the area of high-performance parallel systems and servers. He is interested in mechanisms which reduce communication overhead in parallel and distributed systems. Other areas of interest include computer architecture, network processing, service-oriented computing, and network security.
Before joining NC State, Dr. Byrd was a principal scientist at Celotek Corporation, where he developed software and protocols for the CellCase family of encryptors for ATM networks. He also worked at MCNC, in both the NC Supercomputing Center and the High Performance Computation and Communications group.
- 1984 - BS in Computer Engineering, Clemson University
1985 - MS in Electrical Engineering, Stanford University
1998 - PhD in Electrical Engineering, Stanford University
| Primary Research Interests
- Computer Architecture and Systems (Including Memory Systems / Memory Management*, Microprocessor Architecture, Parallel and Distributed Computer Architecture*)
| Other Research Interests
- Networking (Including Network Security)
| Selected Publications
- S. Reza, and G.T. Byrd. "Reducing Migration-induced Cache Misses." Workshop on Large Scale Parallel Processing (LSPP), May 2012.
- S. Grover, A. Dhanotia, and G. Byrd. "A Canonical Multicore Architecture for Network Routers." ACM/IEEE Intl. Symp. on Architectures for Communications and Network Systems (ANCS), Oct. 2011.
- A. Dhanotia, S. Grover, and G. Byrd. "Analyzing and Scaling Parallelism for Network Routing Protocols." IEEE Intl. Symp. on Workload Characterization, Dec. 2010.
- S. Pant and G. T. Byrd. "Limited Early Value Communication to Improve Performance of Transactional Memory." ACM International Conference on Supercomputing (ICS), June 2009.
- C. Lim and G. T. Byrd. "Exploiting Producer Patterns and L2 Cache for Timely Dependence-Based Prefetching." IEEE Intl. Conf. on Computer Design (ICCD), October 2008.
| Awards and Honors
- 2012 - COE Outstanding Teacher Award
- 2012 - ECE William F. Lane Teaching Award