2058 Engr Bldg IILocate on Campus Map
Campus Box 7911
NC State University
Raleigh, NC 27695-7911
Joel joined the faculty of N.C. State University in 1980 having worked for 11 years in image processing at Los Alamos National Laboratory. Joel's research interests include estimation theory, color imaging, signal and image restoration and reconstruction, and new mathematical techniques applied to signal processing. Specific applications include color measurement and reproduction, image restoration, system characterization, and improved signal measurement.
- Georgia Institute of Technology 1967 B.S. in Applied Mathematics
Florida State University 1968 M.S. in Mathematics
University of New Mexico 1976 Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
| Primary Research Interests
- Communications and Signal Processing (Including Digital Signal Processing, Image Analysis and Computer Vision*)
| Other Research Interests
- Control, Robotics and Mechatronics (Including Computational Intelligence)
| Selected Publications
- Huiwen Zeng and H. J. Trussell, “CONSTRAINED DIMENSIONALITY REDUCTION USING A MIXED-NORM PENALTY FUNCTION WITH NEURAL NETWORKS,” IEEE Trans. Knowledge and Data Engineering, Vol. 22, No. 3, pp365-380, March 2010. (Spotlight paper award for March 2010 issue)
- M. J. Vrhel and H. J. Trussell, “Publishing Accurate Color in IEEE Journals," IEEE Trans. Image Proc., Vol. 11, No. 4, pp.373-376, Apr.,
- M. J. Vrhel, E. Saber and H. J. Trussell, “Color Image Generation and Display Technologies,” IEEE Signal Processing Magazine, Vol. 22, No. 1, pp. 23-33, Jan. 2005
- H. J. Trussell and R. E. Hartwig, “Mathematics of Demosaicking," IEEE
Trans. Image Proc. Vol. 11, No. 4, pp.485-492, Apr., 2002.
- G. Sharma, H. J Trussell and M. J. Vrhel, `` Optimal Nonnegative Color Scanning Filters,'' IEEE Trans. Image Proc., Vol. 7, No. 1, pp. 129-133, Jan. 1998.
| Awards and Honors
- 1994 - IEEE Fellow for contributions to the theory of multidimensional signal restoration and reproduction
- 1993 - SP Paper Award, IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing
- 1967 - NDEA Fellowship, Florida State University