445 MonteithLocate on Campus Map
Campus Box 7911
NC State University
Raleigh, NC 27695-7911
Dr. Adams received the B.S. and M.S. degrees in Electrical and Computer Engineering from the Ohio State University in 2005 and 2007, respectively. He received the PhD degree from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in 2011. From January 2011 until December 2012, he was an Intelligence Community Postdoctoral Research Associate in the Electromagnetics Laboratory at the University of Illinois. He joined the faculty at NC State in 2013.
Dr. Adams develops antennas for a variety of applications, including mobile communications, wireless sensors, and defense systems. He is also interested in novel materials and fabrication methods for multifunctional, conformal, and flexible microwave devices. In addition, Dr. Adams studies the application of eigendecomposition techniques to improve antenna modeling and design. He is currently looking for motivated graduate students interested in these research areas.
- 2011 - PhD in Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, IL
2007 - MS in Electrical and Computer Engineering, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH
2005 - BS in Electrical and Computer Engineering, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH
| Primary Research Interests
- Electronic Circuits and Systems (Including Electromagnetic Fields / Antenna Analysis*, Microwave Devices and Circuits*)
| Selected Publications
- J. J. Adams and J. T. Bernhard, "Broadband equivalent circuit models for antenna impedances and fields using characteristic modes," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 61, no. 8, pp. 3985-3994, August 2013.
- J. J. Adams, E. B. Duoss, T. F. Malkowski, M. J. Motala, B. Y. Ahn, R. G. Nuzzo, J. T. Bernhard, and J. A. Lewis, “Conformal printing of electrically small antennas onto three-dimensional surfaces," Advanced Materials, vol. 23, no. 11, pp. 1335-1340, 2011 (cover article).
- J. J. Adams and J. T. Bernhard, “A modal approach to tuning and bandwidth enhancement of an electrically small antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., vol. 59, no. 4, pp. 1085-1092, 2011.
- J. J. Adams, S. C. Slimmer, T. F. Malkowski, E. B. Duoss, J. A. Lewis, and J. T. Bernhard, “Comparison of spherical antennas fabricated via conformal printing: helix, meanderline, and hybrid designs," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., vol. 10, pp. 1425-1428, 2011.
- J. J. Adams, S. C. Slimmer, J. A. Lewis, and J. T. Bernhard, “Bandwidth limitations, matching, and fabrication of multimode electrically small antennas," in Proc. 2011 Antenna Appl. Symp., pp. 162-179, Monticello, IL.
- A. Russo, B. Y. Ahn, J. J. Adams, E. B. Duoss, J. T. Bernhard, and J. A. Lewis, “Pen-on-paper flexible electronics," Advanced Materials, vol. 23, no. 30, pp. 3426-3430, 2011.
| Awards and Honors
- 2010 - FEKO Student Competition, Honourable Mention
- 2009 - Mavis Future Faculty Fellowship (Univ. of Illinois)
- 2008 - Antenna Applications Symposium Student Paper Contest, Finalist
- 2005 - Dean's Distinguished University Fellowship (Ohio State)
- 2005 - National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship