445 MonteithLocate on Campus Map
Campus Box 7911
NC State University
Raleigh, NC 27695-7911
Dr. Adams received the B.S. and M.S. degrees in Electrical and Computer Engineering from the Ohio State University in 2005 and 2007, respectively. He received the PhD degree from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in 2011. From January 2011 until December 2012, he was an Intelligence Community Postdoctoral Research Associate in the Electromagnetics Laboratory at the University of Illinois. He joined the faculty at NC State in 2013.
Dr. Adams develops antennas for a variety of applications, including mobile communications, wireless sensing, and defense systems. He is also interested in novel materials and fabrication methods for multifunctional, conformal, and flexible microwave devices. In addition, Dr. Adams studies the application of eigendecomposition techniques to improve antenna modeling and design. He is currently looking for motivated graduate students interested in these research areas.
- 2011 - PhD in Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, IL
2007 - MS in Electrical and Computer Engineering, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH
2005 - BS in Electrical and Computer Engineering, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH
| Primary Research Interests
- Electronic Circuits and Systems (Including Electromagnetic Fields / Antenna Analysis*, Microwave Devices and Circuits*)
| Selected Publications
- B. Yang and J. J. Adams, "Computing and visualizing the input parameters of arbitrary planar antennas via eigenfunctions," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 64, no. 7, pp. 2707-2718, Jul. 2016.
- M. Wang, C. Trlica, M. R. Khan, M. D. Dickey, and J. J. Adams, "A recongurable liquid metal antenna driven by electrochemically controlled capillarity," Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 117, no. 19, pp. 194901, May 2015.
- J. J. Adams and J. T. Bernhard, "Broadband equivalent circuit models for antenna impedances and fields using characteristic modes," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 61, no. 8, pp. 3985-3994, August 2013.
- J. J. Adams, E. B. Duoss, T. F. Malkowski, M. J. Motala, B. Y. Ahn, R. G. Nuzzo, J. T. Bernhard, and J. A. Lewis, "Conformal printing of electrically small antennas onto three-dimensional surfaces," Advanced Materials, vol. 23, no. 11, pp. 1335-1340, 2011 (cover article).
- L. Song, A. C. Myers, J. J. Adams, and Y. Zhu, "Stretchable and reversibly deformable radio frequency antennas based on silver nanowires," ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, vol. 6, pp. 4248-4253, 2014.
- A. Russo, B. Y. Ahn, J. J. Adams, E. B. Duoss, J. T. Bernhard, and J. A. Lewis, "Pen-on-paper flexible electronics," Advanced Materials, vol. 23, no. 30, pp. 3426-3430, 2011.
| Awards and Honors
- 2010 - FEKO Student Competition, Honourable Mention
- 2009 - Mavis Future Faculty Fellowship (Univ. of Illinois)
- 2008 - Antenna Applications Symposium Student Paper Contest, Finalist
- 2005 - Dean's Distinguished University Fellowship (Ohio State)
- 2005 - National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship