234-E MonteithLocate on Campus Map
Campus Box 7911
NC State University
Raleigh, NC 27695-7911
Deputy Director, PowerAmerica
The goal: Grow novel semiconductor materials, characterize their optical and eletrical properties, and fabricate novel optoelectronic devices. Sucessful intergration of these tasks will create enabling photonic technologies. This lab works with wide band gap semiconductors includling Gallium Nitride and Zinc Oxide and a variety materials to make quantum dots and other nanostructures.
- 1988,Applied Engineering Physics, Cornell, Ithaca NY
1988-1993 Naval Nuclear Power Program, USS Baltimore (SSN 704)
1998 Solid State Physics, NCSU, Raleigh NC
| Primary Research Interests
- Nanoelectronics and Photonics (Including III - V Materials and Devices, Optical Materials and Photonic Devices, Quantum Engineering, Silicon Devices and Fabrication)
| Other Research Interests
- Bioelectronics Engineering (Including Bioinstrumentation)
| Selected Publications
- "Absorption Coefficient, energy gap, exciton binding energy and recombination lifetime of GaN obtained from transmission measurements," J. F. Muth, J.H. Lee, I.K. Shmagin, R. M. Kolbas, H. C. Casey Jr., B. P. Keller, U.K. Mishra, and S. P. DenBaars, Appl. Phys. Lett. 71, 2572 (1997).
"Excitonic structure and absorption coefficient measurements of ZnO single crystal epitaxial films deposited by pulsed laser deposition," J. F. Muth, R. M. Kolbas, A. K. Sharma, S. Oktyabrsky, and J. Narayan, J. Appl. Phys. 85, 7884, (1999).
"Quantum confinement of E1 and E2 transitions in Ge quantum dots embedded in an Al2O3 or AlN matrix," C.W. Teng, J.F. Muth, R.M. Kolbas, K.M. Hassan, A.K. Sharma, A.Kvit, and J. Narayan, Appl. Phys. Lett. 76, 43, (2000).
"Optical and structural properties of epitaxial MgxZn1-xO alloys," A.K. Sharma, J. Narayan, J.F. Muth, C.W. Teng, C. Jin, A.Kvit, R.M. Kolbas, and O.W. Holland, Appl. Phys. Lett. 75, 3327 (1999).
"Ordinary and extraordinary refractive indices for AlxGa1-xN epitaxial layers," M. J. Bergmann, U. Ozgur, H. C. Casey, H. O. Everit, J. F. Muth, Appl. Phys. Lett. 75, 67 (1999).
| Awards and Honors
- 2009 - United States Armed Forces Bronze Star Medal
- 2006 - Joint Services Humanitarian Service Medal (Hurricane Katrina)
- 2004 - National Academy of Engineers Frontiers of Science Award
- 2003 - Office of Naval Research Young Investigator Award
- 2002 - Oak Ridge Ralph E Powe Award
- 2000 - Discovery Magazine Technology Award, Top 10 Finalist
- 1988-1993 - Navy Commendation Medal, Navy Achievement Medals (2)