100-29 KeystoneLocate on Campus Map
Campus Box 7911
NC State University
Raleigh, NC 27695-7911
Dr. Lu has over 19 years of experience in electric power engineering. From 2003 to 2012, Dr. Ning Lu was a senior research engineer with Pacific Northwest National Laboratory. She was a substation design engineer with the Shenyang Electric Power Survey and Design Institute from 1993 to 1998. She has conducted and managed research projects in modeling and analysis of power system load behaviors, wide area energy storage management systems, renewable integration, climate impact on power grids, and smart grid modeling and diagnosis. Dr. Lu is a senior member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. She has authored or co-authored more than 60 publications, including journal articles, conference proceedings, and technical reports.
• Load modeling and control
• Wide-area energy storage
• Renewable integration
• Predictive defense model of the smart grid
• Climate change impacts on power grids
- 2002 - Ph.D. in Electric Power Engineering, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, New York
1999 - M.S. in Electric Power Engineering, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, New York
1993 - B.Eng. in Electrical Engineering, Harbin Institute of Technology, Harbin, Heilongjiang, China
| Primary Research Interests
- Power Electronics and Power Systems (Including Power Systems)
| Other Research Interests
- Control, Robotics and Mechatronics (Including Computational Intelligence, Control)
| Selected Publications
- N Lu and M Vanouni, "Passive energy storage using distributed electric loads with thermal storage," Journal of Modern Power Systems and Clean Energy, Nov. 2013.
- N Lu and Y Zhang, "Design Considerations of a Centralized Load Controller Using Thermostatically Controlled Appliances for Continuous Regulation Reserves," IEEE Trans. on Smart Grid, 2013
- N Lu. 2012. “An Evaluation of the HVAC Load Potential for Providing Load Balancing Service,” IEEE Trans. on Smart Grid, vol. 3, NO. 3, September 2012.
- Y Zhang and N Lu, "Parameter Selection for a Centralized Thermostatically Controlled Appliances Load Controller Used for Intra-Hour Load Balancing" IEEE Trans. on Smart Grid, Vol. 4, No. 1, March, 2013
- Lei Zheng, Ning Lu, and Lin Cai, "Reliable wireless communication networks for demand response control" IEEE Trans. on Smart Grid, Vol. 4, No. 4, May, 2013