2102 Engr Bldg IILocate on Campus Map
Campus Box 7911
NC State University
Raleigh, NC 27695-7911
Dr. Alexander's teaching interest involves digital signal processing, application specific and special purpose computer system architecture and digital system design. He teaches both undergraduate and graduate courses in signal analysis, digital signal processing and computer system design. His research interests include the development of parallel algorithms, parallel computational structures and computer architectures for digital signal processing with applications to communications, multimedia and image processing. His research interests also includes multidisciplinary topics such as genomic signal processing and systems biology.
- 1964 - B. S. in Electrical Engineering, NC A&T State University, Greensboro, NC
1966 - M. S. in Engineering, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM
1974 - Ph. D. in Electrical Engineering, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM
| Primary Research Interests
- Communications and Signal Processing (Including Digital Signal Processing)
| Selected Publications
- Cranos Williams and Winser Alexander, "Estimating the Unmeasured Dynamics of Biological Systems using a Constrained Real-Coded Genetic Algorithm", in Proceedings of the IEEE 40th ASILOMAR Conference on Signals, Systems and Computers, 2006.
- Ramsey Hourani, Ravi Jenkal, W. Rhett Davis and Winser Alexander, "Automated Architectural Exploration for Signal Processing Algorithms", in Proceedings of the 40th Asilomar conference on Signals, Systems and Computers, 2006.
- Sung H. Yoon, Jung H. Kim, Winser E. Alexander, Seong M. Park, and Kwang H. Sohn, "An optimum solution for scale-invariant object recognition based on the multiresolution approximation", Pattern Recognition, vol. 31, no. 7, pp. 889-908, 1998.
- Winser E. Alexander, Douglas Reeves and Clay Gloster Jr., "Parallel Image Processing with the block data parallel architecture", Proceedings of the IEEE, vol. 84, no. 7, 1996, pp. 947-968.
- Mohamed Y. Dabbagh and Winser E. Alexander, "Multiprocessor implementation of 2-D denominator-separable digital filters for real-time processing IEEE Transactions on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing, vol. ASSP37, no. 6, pp. 872-881, 1989.
| Awards and Honors
- 2000 - National Society of Black Engineers (NSBE) Dr Janice A Lumkin Educator of the Year Award, Golden Torch Awards Ceremony
- 1998 - Presidential Award for Excellence in Science, Mathematics and Engineering Mentoring, White House Office of Science and Technology and National Science Foundation
- 1993 - American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE) Minorities in Engineering Award for Leadership in the Conception, Organization and Operation of Precollege and College Activities to Increase Participation of Minorities in Engineering