100-27 KeystoneLocate on Campus Map
Campus Box 7571
NC State University
Raleigh, NC 27695-7571
My main interest is in the application of computer, control, and system analysis techniques to power system operation and planning problems. Recent research focus has been on the smart power distribution systems and the integration of distributed energy resources to power systems.
- 1988 - PhD in Electrical Engineering, University of California, Berkeley
1981 - MS in Electrical Engineering, Middle East Technical University, Ankara, Turkey
1979 - BS in Electrical Engineering, Middle East Technical University, Ankara, Turkey
| Primary Research Interests
- Power Electronics and Power Systems (Including Power Systems)
| Other Research Interests
- Control, Robotics and Mechatronics (Including Computational Intelligence)
| Selected Publications
- M. Baran, H. Hooshyar, Z. Shen, A. Huang, Accommodating High PV Penetration on Distribution Feeders, IEEE Trans. on Smart Grid, June 2012, Volume: 3 , issue II, pp 1039-1045
- S. Teleke, M.E. Baran, A. Huang, S. Bhattacharya, Control Strategies for Battery Energy Storage for Wind Farm Dispatching, IEEE Trans. on Energy Conversion, Volume 24, Issue 3, Sept. 2009 Page(s):725 ï¿½ 732.
- M.E. Baran, I. El-Markabi, A Multi-Agent-Based Dispatching Scheme for Distributed Generators for Voltage Support on Distribution Systems, IEEE Trans. on Power Systems, Feb. 2007, pp 52 - 59.
| Awards and Honors
- 2010 - IEEE Fellow for developments in analysis, monitoring and control methods for electric power distribution systems
- 2003 - IEEE PES recognition award for contribution to task force on Distribution Test Feeders
- 2001 - IEEE PES/IAS Eastern NC Chapter Outstanding Engineer Award