2104 Engr Bldg IILocate on Campus Map
Campus Box 7911
NC State University
Raleigh, NC 27695-7911
Dr. Townsend's research interests are in the areas of digital communication, communication networks, modeling and simulation, and wireless communication systems. He is currently working on projects in the following three areas: 1. communication theory, architectures and protocols for wireless, ultra-wideband, tactical military communication networks, 2. modeling and simulation of wireless communication systems.
Dr. Townsend has been a guest co-Editor for two special issues of the IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, one published in April 1993, and the other in May, 1997. Both covered the topic of Computer-Aided Modeling, Analysis, and Design of Communication Links. He has also served as Editor for Computer-Aided Design of Communication Systems for the IEEE Transactions on Communications.
- 1981 - BS in Electrical Engineering, University of Missouri-Rolla
1985 - MS in Electrical Engineering, University of Kansas
1988 - PhD in Electrical Engineering, University of Kansas
| Primary Research Interests
- Communications and Signal Processing (Including Adaptive Signal Processing, Digital Communications*, Digital Signal Processing, Multidimensional Signal Processing)
| Selected Publications
- W. M. Lovelace, J. K. Townsend, “Threshold Discrimination and Blanking for Large Near Far Power Ratios in UWB Networks,” IEEE Transactions on Communications, in press, April, 2005.
- W. M. Lovelace, J. K. Townsend, “The Effects of Timing Jitter and Tracking on the Performance of Impulse Radio,” IEEE Journal on Selected Areas of Communications, pp.1646-1651, vol. 20, no. 9, Dec. 2002.
- W. M. Lovelace, J. K. Townsend, "Adaptive Rate Control with Chip Discrimination in UWB Networks", Proceedings of IEEE UWB Systems and Technologies 2003.
- Z. Haraszti, J. K. Townsend, "The Theory of Direct Probability Redistribution and its Application to Rare Event Simulation”, ACM Transactions on Modeling and Computer Simulation, pp. 105 140, vol. 9, no. 2, April 2000.
- W. M. Lovelace, J. K. Townsend, "Chip Discrimination for Large Near Far Power Ratios in UWB Networks", Proceedings of IEEE Milcom 2003.
| Awards and Honors
- 2012, 2011-2012 - Alumni Distinguished Undergraduate Professor Award
- 2000 - Academy of Outstanding Teachers (NC State)