434 MonteithLocate on Campus Map
Campus Box 7911
NC State University
Raleigh, NC 27695-7911
Robert M. Kolbas has been a Professor (1985-present) and was Head (1995-2000) of the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at North Carolina State University. From 1979-1985 he was employed by Honeywell Inc. as a Principal Research Scientist and a Senior Research Scientist where he responsible for the development of Integrated Optoelectronic Circuits and the growth of semiconductor thin films. He completed his Ph.D. in Physics from the University of Illinois in 1979 where he worked under Professor Nick Holonyak, Jr. in the early development of semiconductor quantum well heterostructure lasers. Professor Kolbas's research interests and contributions include: III-V semiconductor heterostructures and quantum wells, optoelectronic integrated circuits, quantum well lasers, strained layer lasers, vertical-cavity lasers, ultra-thin quantum wells, carrier collection in quantum wells, phonon assisted stimulated emission and AlGaN-GaN heterostructures, and II-VI semiconductor materials and devices. He has published more than 140 manuscripts in refereed journals. His present interests include MBE, MOCVD, tunable light emitting devices, light emission from nanoparticles, rare earth doped semiconductors, and wide bandgap semiconductor materials. He is a member of the IEEE, American Physical Society, Sigma Xi and Tau Beta Pi.
- 1975 BS in Engineering Physics, Cornell University
1977 MS in Physics, U. of Illinois, Urbana
1979 PhD in Physics, U. of Illinois, Urbana
| Primary Research Interests
- Physical Electronics, Photonics & Magnetics (Including III - V Materials and Devices, Optical Materials and Photonic Devices)
| Selected Publications
- "Quantum-Well Heterostructure Lasers", N. Holonyak, Jr., R. M. Kolbas, R. D. Dupuis and P. D. Dapkus, IEEE J. Quantum Electron., QE-16, pp. 170-186 (February 1980).
- "Planar Monolithic Integration of a Photodiode and a GaAs Preamplifier," R. M. Kolbas, J. Abrokwah, J. K. Carney, D. H. Bradshaw, B. R. Elmer, J. R. Biard, Applied Physics Letters 43, pp. 821-823 (November 1983).
- "Strained Layer InGaAs-GaAs-AlGaAs Photopumped and Current Injection Lasers," R. M. Kolbas, N. G. Anderson, W. D. Laidig, Y. K. Sin, Y. C. Lo, K. Y. Hsieh and Y. J. Yang, IEEE J. Quantum Electronics, Vol. 24, pp. 1605-1613 (8 August 1988).
- "Observation of Lasing from Photopumped InGaN/GaN Heterostructures in an Edge Emitting Configuration," I. K. Shmagin, J F. Muth, R. M. Kolbas, S. Krishnankutty, S. Keller, U. K. Mishra, and S. P. DenBaars, J. Applied Phys. Vol. 81, No. 4, pp. 2021-2023, (15 February 1997).
- "Optical Data Storage in InGaN/GaN Heterostructures," I. K. Shmagin, J. F. Muth, R. M. Kolbas, R. D. Dupuis, P. A. Grudowski, C. J. Eiting, J. Park, B. S. Shelton and D. J. H. Lambert, Applied Physics Letters Vol. 71, No. 18, pp. 2572-2574 (3 November 1997).
| Awards and Honors
- 2000 - IEEE Fellow
- 1999 - IEEE Senior Member
- 1983 - Winning Edge Award, Honeywell Inc
- 1978 - Kodak Pre-Doctoral Fellow