442 MonteithLocate on Campus Map
Campus Box 7911
NC State University
Raleigh, NC 27695-7911
Dr. Davis came to NCSU in 2002 as an Assistant Professor and became an Associate Professor in 2008. He received the National Science Foundation’s Faculty Early Career Development (CAREER) award in 2007. He received the Distinguished Service Award from the Silicon Integration Initiative (Si2) in 2012 for his research in the development of standards for electronic design automation (EDA) and his development of the FreePDK open-source, predictive process design kit. He has been an IEEE member since 1993 and became a Senior Member in 2011. He has published over 50 scholarly journal and conference articles. He has worked briefly at Hewlett-Packard (now Agilent) in Boeblingen, Germany and consulted for Chameleon Systems, Qualcomm, and BEECube.
Dr. Davis' research is centered on developing methodologies, CAD tools, and circuits for systems-on-chip in emerging technologies. His interests include 3DIC design and low-power and high-performance circuit design for digital signal-processing and embedded systems.
- 2002 - PhD in Electrical Engineering, University of California, Berkeley
1997 - MS in Electrical Engineering, University of California, Berkeley
1994 - BS in Electrical Engineering, North Carolina State University, Raleigh
| Primary Research Interests
- Computer Architecture and Systems (Including Special-Purpose Processor Architectures, VLSI and Computer Aided Design, VLSI System Design / ASIC Design Methods)
- Electronic Circuits and Systems (Including Computer-Aided Design / Modeling, Digital Circuits, VLSI)
| Other Research Interests
- Communications and Signal Processing (Including Digital Communications, Digital Signal Processing)
| Selected Publications
- N. Dhanwada, D. Hathaway, J. Frenkil, W. R. Davis, and H. Demircioglu, "Leakage Power Contributor Modeling," IEEE Design & Test of Computers, vol. 29, no. 2, 2012.
- S. Priyadarshi, C. S. Saunders, N. M. Kriplani, H. Demircioglu, W. R. Davis, P. D. Franzon, and M. B. Steer, "Parallel Transient Simulation of Multi-Physics Circuits Using Delay-Based Partitioning," IEEE Trans. on Computer-Aided Design of Integrated Circuits & Systems, vol 31, no 10, 2012.
- S. Melamed, T. Thorolfsson, T. R. Harris, S. Priyadarshi, P. Franzon, M. B. Steer, and W. R. Davis, "Junction-Level Thermal Analysis of Three Dimensional Integrated Circuits using High Definition Power Blurring," IEEE Trans. on Computer-Aided Design of Integrated Circuits & Systems, vol. 31, no. 5, 2012.
- W. R. Davis, J. Wilson, S. Mick, J. Xu, H. Hua, C. Mineo, A. M. Sule, M. Steer, and P. D. Franzon, "Demystifying 3D ICs: The Pros and Cons of Going Vertical," IEEE Design & Test of Computers, vol. 22, no. 6, 2005.
- W. R. Davis, N. Zhang, K. Camera, D. Marković, T. Smilkstein, M. J. Ammer, E. Yeo, S. Augsburger, B. Nikolić, R. W. Brodersen, "A Design Environment for High-Throughput, Low-Power Dedicated SignalProcessing Systems", IEEE Journal of Solid State Circuits, vol. 37, no. 3, 2002.
| Awards and Honors
- 2012 - Si2 Distinguished Service Award
- 2007 - NSF Career Award