Campus Box 7914
NC State University
Raleigh, NC 27695-7914
Dr. Steven W. Hunter
I started my career in the IBM Networking Division in 1984 where I've worked on multiple networking products, as well as network system architecture and technologies in general. In 1997, I joined the IBM Systems and Technology Group (STG) where I was systems architect for systems x and BladeCenter products, and Chief Technology Officer (CTO) of the BladeCenter system family.
I'm an IBM Fellow and Chief Architect for Next Generation Computing Systems in IBM Research and an Adjunct Professor in the NCSU ECE and Computer Science departments focusing primarily on computer and networking architecture and technology.
My areas of interest include parallel and distributed system architectures and technologies associated with computing, networking, clustering, high availability, and power-efficiency.
- 1984 - BS in Electrical and Computer Engineering, Auburn University, Auburn, AL
1988 - MS in Electrical and Computer Engineering, NC State University, Raleigh, NC
1997 - PhD in Electrical and Computer Engineering, Duke University, Durham, NC
| Primary Research Interests
- Computer Architecture and Systems (Including Microprocessor Architecture, Parallel and Distributed Computer Architecture, Security and Reliable/Fault-Tolerant Computing)
| Other Research Interests
- Networking (Including Computer Communications, Network Security, Networking Services and Management)
| Selected Publications
- Workload and network-optimized computing systems, with David LaPotin, Shahrokh Daijavad, Charles Johnson, Kazuaki Ishizaki, Hubertus Franke, Heather Achilles, Dan Dumarot, Nancy Greco and Bijan Davari, IBM Journal of Research and Development, Volume 54, Number 1, 2010.
- Applying Amdahl’s Other Law to the Data Center, with Dave Cohen, Fabrizio Petrini, Mike Day, Muli Ben-Yehuda and Uri Cummings, IBM Journal of Research and Development, Volume 53, Number 5, 2009.
- AC Coupled Backplane Communications Using Embedded Capacitor, with Bruce Su, Pravin Patel, Moises Cases, Paul D Franzon, 17th Conference on Electrical Performance of Electronic Packaging, San Jose, CA, October 27-29, 2008.
- BladeCenter Networking, with Norm Strole, David Cosby and David Green, IBM Journal of Research and Development, September/November 2005.
- Workload-Based Power Management for Parallel Computer Systems, with Dave Bradley and Rick Harper, IBM Journal of Research and Development, Sept 2003.
- Proactive Management of Software Aging, with Vittorio Castelli, Richard E. Harper, Phil Heidelberger, Kishor Trivedi, Kalyanaraman Vaidyanathan, and William Zeggert, IBM Journal of Research and Development, April 2001.
- Analysis and Implementation of Software Rejuvenation in Cluster Systems, with Kalyanaraman Vaidyanathan, Richard E. Harper, and Kishor Trivedi, ACM Sigmetrics 2001 Conf, Cambridge, Mass, June 16-20, 2001.